IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> RaveReport -> FastReport, Import from RaveReport files.
Draeden
post Nov 4 2010, 08:44 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 49032

Some time ago on this forum the import from RaveReport was discussed. It was decided to implement this import in FR5. If someone is interested in this import, attach a sample .rav file and write the version of Rave in which the file is created. If the .rav file needs a database, attach it too.

Best regards, FR team.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Petter S.
post Nov 9 2010, 04:53 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50598

YES!!

I'm about to move 300 reports from Rave to Fast Reports, so this would be greatly appreciated.

What kind of conversion could we be looking at? Bands? Entire design? Data components? Scripts?
I've been working on Fast Reports for some weeks now, but if there are some conversion tools ahead, that could be worth waiting for.

If you need sample reports I can certanly offer that, but i suppose all of them would be a little to much. What kind of reports are you looking for?

regards,
Petter

+Quote Post
starhu
post Nov 10 2010, 11:21 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50956

QUOTE(Draeden @ Nov 4 2010, 08:44 AM) *
Some time ago on this forum the import from RaveReport was discussed. It was decided to implement this import in FR5. If someone is interested in this import, attach a sample .rav file and write the version of Rave in which the file is created. If the .rav file needs a database, attach it too.

Best regards, FR team.

Hello,

I'm interested too. However the database behind most of my Rave reports are VERY complicated and mostly I use MySql.
Is the Rav file not enough?

Thank you

--------------------
Thank you very much.

Best regards

Zsolt Csillag

+Quote Post
Draeden
post Nov 11 2010, 03:47 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Petter S., we're going to support bands, entire design, database connections. Scripts is now a question - maybe they'll be converted to FR, maybe not. Attach some Rave reports with most complex structure. Include scripts too - we'll see whether it's possible to convert them.

starhu, .rav files are enough. Databases are needed to be sure that the resulting .fr3 file is capable to print the same stuff what the original .rav prints, but the import itself doesn't need database sources. If your datasources are really complicated, then attach only .rav files.

Note, that our import uses API from Rave v5.0. This doesn't prevent from importing .rav files from older versions of Rave, but the set of components/features is limited by that of Rave5.

+Quote Post
starhu
post Nov 11 2010, 03:04 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50956

QUOTE(Draeden @ Nov 11 2010, 03:47 AM) *
starhu, .rav files are enough. Databases are needed to be sure that the resulting .fr3 file is capable to print the same stuff what the original .rav prints, but the import itself doesn't need database sources. If your datasources are really complicated, then attach only .rav files.

Hello,

I have attached a rav file (compressed with rar) that has many reports,pages, bands, pictures and some scripts.

Thank you.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  sample.rar ( 103.11k ) Number of downloads: 111

--------------------
Thank you very much.

Best regards

Zsolt Csillag

+Quote Post
Draeden
post Nov 12 2010, 04:44 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

In what version of Rave it's created? Your report contains a component TRaveJPEGImage that Rave v5.0 doesn't have.

+Quote Post
Petter S.
post Nov 12 2010, 05:46 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Draeden @ Nov 11 2010, 10:47 AM) *
Petter S., we're going to support bands, entire design, database connections. Scripts is now a question - maybe they'll be converted to FR, maybe not. Attach some Rave reports with most complex structure. Include scripts too - we'll see whether it's possible to convert them.

Thanks.

Her are some reports attached. The first one in the project is probably the most complicated, with scripts, datamirrors and other stuff. If you need databases to test with, I will be happy to send you some by mail (my test DB's have elements of personal information, so I prefer not to put them in an open forum).

My reports are created in Rave 6.0.5, but as far as I know there is not anything in there that was no present i Rave 5.

Petter
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Sample1.zip ( 102.51k ) Number of downloads: 53

+Quote Post
Petter S.
post Nov 12 2010, 05:57 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Draeden @ Nov 12 2010, 11:44 AM) *
In what version of Rave it's created? Your report contains a component TRaveJPEGImage that Rave v5.0 doesn't have.

I think maybe this is an AddOn to Rave. The Nevrona WEB-site is a mess, but you can find the AddOn here: http://rave-notes.blogspot.com/2009/01/blog-post.html

Petter

+Quote Post
Draeden
post Nov 12 2010, 07:41 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Petter S., the import converted your report to fr3 file, but Rave5 failed to open the .rav file - it said that a component with a weird name is missing. See the attachment for the fr3 file and the screenshot of the error. Please point to things in the fr3 file that are not correct.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  PetterS.zip ( 20.09k ) Number of downloads: 40
Attached File  RaveError.jpeg ( 16.64k ) Number of downloads: 90

+Quote Post
Draeden
post Nov 12 2010, 08:03 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Petter S., thank you for the useful link - I found there TRaveJPEGImage component and now I'm able to convert the report of starhu.

starhu, the attachment contains fr3 file produced from your rav file. Please, point to things in this fr3 that are not correct.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Sample.zip ( 41.21k ) Number of downloads: 25

+Quote Post
Draeden
post Nov 12 2010, 11:37 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

I found that your reports contain a Rave-specific feature - several reports inside one rav file. It's more accurate to represent such reports as several fr3 files, maybe as a zip archive. Here are these archives.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  PetterS.rar ( 46.23k ) Number of downloads: 26
Attached File  starhu.rar ( 52.03k ) Number of downloads: 24

+Quote Post
Draeden
post Nov 16 2010, 03:57 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Here is the beta version of the import. It's highly apprectiated if you'll test it on your reports. To use this tool follow these steps:

1. Click File | Designer to open FR designer.
2. Click File | Open in the designer.
3. Select a .rav file.
4. Some .rav files may contain several reports inside. Such reports are converted to several .fr3 files. The tool will ask you where to save these files.
5. In the designer you'll see the last report from the .rav file. If the .rav file contains a single report, then it'll be shown in the designer. If the .rav file contains several reports, then you can find the same number of .fr3 files inside a folder you specified.

Note, that if the .rav file contains database components, then they'll appear in the resulting .fr3 file(s) only if these database components can be created at runtime. For instance, if the .rav file contains a IBX database connection and your system doesn't have ibinstall.dll installed, then you'll not see this IBX component in .fr3 files, as an attempt to create this component at runtime will call ibinstall.dll and fail.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  RaveImport.rar ( 1.87mb ) Number of downloads: 469

+Quote Post
Petter S.
post Nov 18 2010, 07:23 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Draeden @ Nov 16 2010, 10:57 AM) *
Here is the beta version of the import. It's highly apprectiated if you'll test it on your reports. To use this tool follow these steps:

Thanks!

I've tried it on one of my .rav-files, containing 31 reports. That took more than 2 hours on my PC..., but at last I got 31 .fr3-files. I really thought it had shut down, until the first FR3 appeared after approx 5 minutes, and then a new one 5 minutes later, and so on...

There must be something mysterious in those new homemade files. They are exceptionally slow to work with. The files you sent me Nov 12th (PetterS.rar) are NOT slow at all. I attach one homemade (1.fr3) for you to examine, and also the .rav I used.

There seems to be one main issue with measaurement. All sizing and placement is failing by the factor of approx 1.27. What should be 12.7 cm has become 10.0 cm, and what should be 18.5 cm has become 14.57 cm.

In Rave we use Region-components as containers for all bands. That is not done in FR. The conversion seems to convert 'region' to 'subreport', and than I get subreports in all banded reports. That is a little unconvenient.

In Rave there are what is called Global Pages, used for storing information that is shared between different reports inside the same .rav-file. In my test, This Global Pages becomes Page1, and the actual report pages becomes Page2, 3... Is there any hope of putting the global pages on the highest pagenumbers?

/Petter
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Andre.zip ( 69.35k ) Number of downloads: 39
Attached File  1.fr3 ( 18.68k ) Number of downloads: 22

+Quote Post
Draeden
post Nov 19 2010, 04:08 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

One main difference between your system and mine is that you have IBX installed. Maybe IBX components take so much time. When I import your rav file it takes about 3 seconds, but all IBX components are skipped.

Your 1.fr3 file is not slow on my machine - it's opened in a moment. But FR designer informs me that IBX components cannot be added and skips them.

The problem with measurements is fixed - the import multiplied all Rave lengths twice, but should multiple by 2.54 - one inch.

Rave's regions is a problem. FR doesn't offer a proper way to emulate them. Subreports is just an approach to make output similar to what regions do. If you know a better way to convert regions, I'll implement it.

Now all global components (i.e. components that are not inside any report) are placed after contents a Rave report. Thus global pages have highest numbers.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  PetterS.rar ( 1.99mb ) Number of downloads: 49

+Quote Post
Draeden
post Nov 19 2010, 04:19 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

I imported Andre.rav and it took 3-4 seconds to complete all 31 fr3 files. Try to disable IBX (just make ibinstall.dll inaccessible) and import again.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Andre.rar ( 105.93k ) Number of downloads: 40

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Time is now: 13th December 2018 - 09:44 PM