IMPORTANT! The new way to convert FR2 to FR3

Currently we can not IMPORT FR2 file from FR3, but FR team only provide EXPORT feature in FR2 (in FR2: use Save As FR3).

I think FR team should change this direction! Better not provide FR2 with Save As but please provide FR3 with IMPORT (read from FR2 files).

This will make FR team focuss to FR3 Development rather than change FR2 while the Save As not work correctly and we don't need to Install FR2 if we want to convert to FR3.
The fact .... until now the Save As feature in Fr2 not work perfect, many problem.. so the upgrading from FR2 to FR3 is a nightmare! User of FR3 must report this problem to FR2 since the feature for convert is available in FR2 not in FR3.

Comments

• edited 10:24AM
    for FR3 :
    uses frx2xto30;
    frxReport1.LoadFromFile('report.frf');//open fr2 file
    //if you want save in fr3 file
    frxReport1.SaveToFile('report.fr3');
    //if you have problem  in frx2xto30 (password convert) write to support

I already known about that code but I need a design time convertion.
    With recent solusion, I must run the program.

I think it is very possible for FR Team to provide an easy way to import/read FR2 file.

Does any FR3 users need this feature (import/read fr2 file in design time) also?
    I think FR team should change this direction! Better not provide FR2 with Save As but please provide FR3 with IMPORT (read from FR2 files).
    Another trick is provide import like this:
    - put a FR3 component and right click, so the Popup Menu appear
    - in the popup menu there is IMPORT FROM and complete will all FR2 component that exists in the form

FR Team?
    List of Importing FR2 to FR3 Error that need fixed:
    1. IF function not converted to IIF
    2. Bracket [] not converted to <> for Field
    3. Wrong StretchMode
    4. Memo and Band overlap (must set Free bands placement before)
    5. A := B not work (must use set('A', ;) and may need VartoStr to avoid error, look at FR3 Demo)
    6. FR2 use Delphi dataset while FR3 use frxDataset but the convertion still use Delphi Dataset. So, need FEATURE to convert FR2 to FR COMPLETELY including frDataset and frReport.
    7. Report Title have a gap to others band (i.e MasterData) even I set gap=0 pt. But the gap of MasterData to DetailData is ok.
    8. UDF (User Define Function) error in Design time but Runtime is ok. Need to add to FR Source and compile again even I already add to Script Text (this doesn't happen in FR2).

Still no COMPLETE conversion from FR2 to FR3. I need this to bring our programming team to use ONE report version rather than use 2 versions (in fact these 2 version very different) of VCL.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.